Seeing multiple different houses over the course of a few weeks can be overwhelming. Below is a list of some things you should keep in mind that can help you distinguish between houses:
- Take note of the neighborhood – do the neighbors maintain their homes?
- Picture how you live now – does the layout make sense for you?
- If you plan to live there more than 5 years, is there room to grow or ability to expand on the home?
- Look at the HVAC unit, water heater and roof if possible – do they look original or newer?
- Look for water stains, suspicious cracks or moldy odors.
Your agent should also give you handouts of each property you visit, and bring a notebook just in case. Write down your first impressions of each house, major pros and cons, and anything else that sticks out (good or bad), to help you remember each one.